From: "Bob Schimmel" <bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, May 21, 2006 12:46 PM
Subject: Re: TEAK/WOOD/TREX cockpit grate?

> Interesting that you should send this note.  I have been thinking of
> changing my grid to cedar but I like your idea of using Trex. I wonder
> how hot it would be under foot and if it would be slippery when wet.
> You can cut the notches with a router.  I haven't yet figured out how to
> line up the slats so it fits the shaped cockpit sole as I have too many
> other projects on the go right now to consider doing this one. Let me
> know how you make out though.  Why let good R&D go to waste huh?
>
> Regards
>
> Bob Schimmel
> (Always stay curious)
>
> bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>

> Rick Bensyl wrote:
> > Hi everyone- I recently purchased a San Juan 23 in the last six months
and really enjoy the boat and the website. After reviewing Bob Schimels'
tech tips and seeing his cockpit grate made in vinyl, I would like one also.

> > I priced the "do it yourself" teak grate materials at West marine and it
looks like it would cost over $500. You can have a custom one made by "Thai
teak Industries" and have it shipped to the US  for around $350, but I would
really like to do this on a shoestring budget.

> > Has anyone tried doing this yourself? I am looking into building it out
of the Trex composite deck materials sold at Home Depot/Lowes, but am not
sure how one would cut all the notches needed into the composite material.