Re: Hello from "Broken Rudder" Georgia

Talbert:

The answer to your question is quite simple.
If you sail in deep water all the time then the fixed rudder is OK. If you also sail in shallow water then go for the kick up rudder. Hera is a link to rudder repair, http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/2358/b_hull_tips/b1.html

Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

TALBERT SHELTON wrote:
Tab Shelton here. The ol' 1980 (sail #483) broke free during heavy winds last year. The only damage to speak of was a cracked rudder (almost in two). I would like to hear everyone's advice on repair/replacement. Including consideration of a "kick up" type rudder. I believe the late great Bob Clark was using this type on the 23s in later years. Thanks, Tab