rudder problems

I have viewed the tech tips on rudder maintenance and tips on how to
manage the rudder up to down. I knew I had some sort of problem with my
rudder after this last trip out. The rudder would not go up of down
without considerable effort. So a few days ago I decided to take it
apart and repair and replace anything I found to be defective. I
removed the rear wood spacer and noticed the aluminum housing spread
apart with the removal of the last screw. I then removed the rudder
bolt and separated the rudder from the metal housing. Funny thing it
was still wedged pretty tight in the housing. I managed to remove it
and found two thing. First there was no bushing installed so I knew I
needed to do that job but when I measured the hole that the bolt goes
thru I came up with 1 1/2 inches. Strange the housing at the pins only
measures 1 1/4 inches same at the rear. It looks like my problem was
the simple fact that the rudder was too wide for the housing by 1/4
inch. It was wedged so tight, no wonder it would not move. Now
according to the spec on tech tips the rudder at its widest should only
be 1 1/4 inches. Not sure were to go from here. I could cut a new rear
wooden spacer and force the housing apart. This would help but not
eliminate the binding of the rudder. Or I could take the housing down
to a welder and have them cut the welds and add some material so the
inner spacing is 1 1/2 inches. this would fix the rudder but I would
have to replace both wood spacers and the tiller. Lastly I could try
and grind the rudder down 1/8 inch on each side and bring it back to
spec. The issue I have with that is how weak would I then be making the
rudder. Not sure how much material there is at this key stress point.
Oh yea lastly I could contact Gene and by a new rudder. As much as I
enjoy talking boats with Gen ( he lives just a few miles from me)
really do not want that expense. Any ideas would be appreciated!
Another note my center board is jammed tight in the up position and
those tips on raising the boat off the trailer will really come in
handy. So thanks for those!
Kirt Maddox
Skipper of the Gyp-Sea