Re: rudder problems

Hi Kirt:

I wouldn't grind the blade down to fit the narrower space. It would weaken it and you would quite likely be left with a useless blob of core foam. Widening the rudder head is much the smarter. Widening the tiller is simply a matter of padding the sides with some hard wood. Funny how your blade is so thick in comparison to the rudder head. Almost makes me wonder if somebody other than the factory made this blade. Good luck.

Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

kirtmad@xxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have viewed the tech tips on rudder maintenance and tips on how to manage the rudder up to down. I knew I had some sort of problem with my rudder after this last trip out. The rudder would not go up of down without considerable effort. So a few days ago I decided to take it apart and repair and replace anything I found to be defective. I removed the rear wood spacer and noticed the aluminum housing spread apart with the removal of the last screw. I then removed the rudder bolt and separated the rudder from the metal housing. Funny thing it was still wedged pretty tight in the housing. I managed to remove it and found two thing. First there was no bushing installed so I knew I needed to do that job but when I measured the hole that the bolt goes thru I came up with 1 1/2 inches. Strange the housing at the pins only measures 1 1/4 inches same at the rear. It looks like my problem was the simple fact that the rudder was too wide for the housing by 1/4 inch. It was wedged so tight, no wonder it would not move. Now according to the spec on tech tips the rudder at its widest should only be 1 1/4 inches. Not sure were to go from here. I could cut a new rear wooden spacer and force the housing apart. This would help but not eliminate the binding of the rudder. Or I could take the housing down to a welder and have them cut the welds and add some material so the inner spacing is 1 1/2 inches. this would fix the rudder but I would have to replace both wood spacers and the tiller. Lastly I could try and grind the rudder down 1/8 inch on each side and bring it back to spec. The issue I have with that is how weak would I then be making the rudder. Not sure how much material there is at this key stress point. Oh yea lastly I could contact Gene and by a new rudder. As much as I enjoy talking boats with Gen ( he lives just a few miles from me) really do not want that expense. Any ideas would be appreciated! Another note my center board is jammed tight in the up position and those tips on raising the boat off the trailer will really come in handy. So thanks for those! Kirt Maddox Skipper of the Gyp-Sea