Portlights

I have seen some photos of SJ23s that have ports that open. Was this an
option, or is it an owner modification? Has anybody located opening ports
that fit well?

On another point - I have seen owners of other sailboats replace their
portlights by removing frames and installing oversized lexan or other
material from the outside and securing it with through bolts. Has anybody
done this? Are there any issues with doing this on a SJ23?

Thanks

Mike