From: sanjuan23-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
[mailto:sanjuan23-admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Rick
Bensyl
Sent: Thursday, October 19, 2006 10:38 AM
To: sanjuan23@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Follow up on window replacement saga

To all who have gone before me.....

I recently re-gasketed all four windows and rebedded them with 3m 4200
UV. They looked great and I thought I was finished.

After thunderstorms brought us 4 inches of rain in a 24 hour period a
few days ago, I went down below and was very disappointed- carpet all
wet, and left (port) side of boat had about 1-2 inches of water in the
locker. I already re-did the deck flange project as listed in the tech
tips, so I figured it must be the windows.

As it turns out, the previous owner had at some point in the past
replaced the plastic window panes with tempered glass, but the glass
pieces are a little undersized (especially the front windows). Water is
apparently getting in the tiny gap where the metal frames go together,
or around the new gasket. When I pulled the glass out of the frame there
was a fair amount of water in the aluminum channel frame. (No leakage
between the frames and fiberglass, just between the glass and aluminum).

I am now going to pull all four windows again and re-bed the glass with
either boat-life or Dow-Corning 795 using a gasketless method (the
sealant IS the gasket). There can be no gaps doing it this way, although
its a little more labor intensive.

Has anyone else done this on their SJ23? I've found discussion on
various sailing websites of this gasketless method and it seems to be
the prefered choice of many.  I'm also looking at replacing the front
windows with slightly larger ones (or possibly opening ports) to better
match the rears from a proportion standpoint. I've always thought the
fronts look a little undersized and out of place- any thoughts on this
also?  There is a company called New Found Metals in Washington that
makes some beautiful windows that will outlast the boat.

Cheers!

Rick Bensyl
SJ-23 First Wave