Re: interior carpet

I brought home a bunch of samples of the "marine" carpet from Home Depot today.  The fibers or the "carpet" are basically all mildew and stain resistant (synthetic) poly-olefin type material.

There were basically three different types of carpet. All three claim they are approved for pool areas, decks, garages, boat carpeting and are not supposed to absorb water. The fibers on top don't differ that much, but the backing materials are very different. These are the three types:

1) this type has a ~ 1/8 inch thick black rubber that they call "marine backing". Looks like a non-sticky version of butyl rubber.

2) the second one has a backing called latex unitary- which appears to be a coating of clear latex impregnated into the base of the fibers.

3) the third type has a backing called "action back" which appears to be an open weave of waterproof fibers that the top layer is woven into. It almost appears to not be a backing at all (looks like the underside of normal home carpet to my untrained eye)

What are the main issues/concerns for using this stuff on the sides to replace the original vinyl? Is this mainly a water absorbtion problem for the outer fibers, a backing issue, or condensation problem? On the surface they seem like they are all pretty non-absorbent and durable, but perhaps there are other things I should be thinking about?

Thanks to all who have added ideas and suggestions to this project!

Rick Bensyl
SJ-23 First Wave