Re: interior carpet

Rick:

Type 1 - sounds like the original Ozite carpet of the 1960s.
Type 2 - sounds like ?
Type 3 - sounds similar to what I installed on Panache.

The main issues are damage due to condensed moisture and the development of mold. Think of the fabric as a second vapour barrier and the damage that two vapour barriers, hull and cloth, adjacent to each together can do. Two vapour barriers next to each other is an absolute NO NO due to condensed moisture that can't escape. Mold and rot are the inevitable outcome. The rule of thumb of a vapour barrier is that the barrier MUST go to the warm side and any material on the cold side must be able to breathe to vent moisture. This will keep the insulation dry and/or prevent condensation so you can stay warm. However, since you aren't going to insulate the inside of an SJ23 hull, which is a vapour barrier, you must take the opposite approach and install a fabric that breathes and then ventilate the cabin. This approach is the same as opening your wet gear when it rains outside. This is the reason why I chose a fabric that breathes and doesn't rot. Any moisture that condenses through the fabric on the inside of the hull will simply evaporate without leaving a stain or starting rot.
Regards

bpschim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Rick Bensyl wrote:
I brought home a bunch of samples of the "marine" carpet from Home Depot today. The fibers or the "carpet" are basically all mildew and stain resistant (synthetic) poly-olefin type material.
There were basically three different types of carpet. All three claim they are approved for pool areas, decks, garages, boat carpeting and are not supposed to absorb water. The fibers on top don't differ that much, but the backing materials are very different. These are the three types:

1) this type has a ~ 1/8 inch thick black rubber that they call "marine backing". Looks like a non-sticky version of butyl rubber.

2) the second one has a backing called latex unitary- which appears to be a coating of clear latex impregnated into the base of the fibers.

3) the third type has a backing called "action back" which appears to be an open weave of waterproof fibers that the top layer is woven into. It almost appears to not be a backing at all (looks like the underside of normal home carpet to my untrained eye)

What are the main issues/concerns for using this stuff on the sides to replace the original vinyl? Is this mainly a water absorbtion problem for the outer fibers, a backing issue, or condensation problem? On the surface they seem like they are all pretty non-absorbent and durable, but perhaps there are other things I should be thinking about?

Thanks to all who have added ideas and suggestions to this project!

Rick Bensyl
SJ-23 First Wave