Re: Re: SJ23 in heavy weather

I have a related question on this. I love the San Juan 23 and think its the perfect boat for my needs right now.

I have a potential opportunity to move to Hawaii next year and would like to sail still if I move there.  I don't plan on sailing hundreds of miles between the islands, just bopping around in nearby coastal areas.  From my observations of weather there, it seems to have fairly steady tradewinds in the islands with the exception of winter storms.

What is the general consensus as to the SJ-23's ability in these conditions?  I'd hate to have to sell it to get a bigger boat if I don't really need to. It seems to do fine in moderate to strong winds, just doesn't like to be hit with a big gust when barely moving.  I can also go from my current 4HP outboard to an 8 HP for more punch if needed in waves.

 The larger boats I've looked at that have solid reputations are the Albin Vega 27 and perhaps the Catalina 27, but I really like what I have now.

If I move it will be shipped over on its trailer (I'm not crazy enough to attempt THAT sail)!

Happy Thanksgiving to all!

Rick Bensyl